PhD

Recently a friend e-mailed me and told me that he wants to enhance his status and he needs a PhD to do that. The interesting thing was he asked me whether there is a cheap PhD course because he is quite tight with money. I really couldn't believe what I was reading. Here is a person who thinks that a PhD will solve his problems and get him out of his present woes. A PhD is not a magic wand!

If one could not make it with a university degree what makes you so sure you can make it as a PhD? Seriously a person who thinks like that actually already has PhD (Permanent Head Damage).


I'm not against people pursuing PhD for the sake of knowledge - if you have the money & time, by all means do it. But if your family are still wanting and you are down in the pocket - it's a totally different matter.


Below is a very interesting part of the speech delivered by Larry Ellison, the CEO of Oracle Corp. and the 2nd richest man in the world, at the Yale University last month.


(Photo: Larry Elison, One of the World Richest Billionaires)

"Graduates of Yale University, I apologize if you have endured this type of prologue before, but I want you to do something for me. Please, take a good look around you. Look at the classmate on your left. Look at the classmate on your right.


Now, consider this: Five years from now, 10 years from now, even 30 years from now, odds are the person on your left is going to be a loser. The person on your right, meanwhile, will also be a loser. And you, in the middle? What can you expect? Loser. Loser hood. Loser Cum Laude.


In fact, as I look out before me today, I don't see a thousand hopes for a bright tomorrow. I don't see a thousand future leaders in a thousand industries. I see a thousand losers. You're upset. That's understandable.

After all, how can I, Lawrence "Larry' Ellison, college dropout, have the audacity to spout such heresy to the graduating class of one of the nation's most prestigious institutions? I'll tell you why.


Because I, Lawrence 'Larry' Ellison, second richest man on the planet, am a college dropout, and you are not.

Because Bill Gates, richest man on the planet .. for now, anyway - is a college dropout, and you did not.

Because Paul Allen, the third richest man on the planet, dropped out of college, and you did not.

And for good measure, because Michael Dell, No. 9 on the list and moving up fast, is a college dropout, and you, yet again are not.

...Finally, I realize that many of you, and hopefully by now most of you, are wondering, "Is there anything I can do? Actually, no; it's too late. You've absorbed too much, think you know too much. You have a built-in cap, and I'm not referring to the mortar boards on your heads.


...I want to give hope to any underclassman here today. I say to you, and I can't stress this enough: Leave. Pack your things and your ideas and don't come back. Drop out. Start up. For I can tell you that a cap and gown will keep you down just as surely as these security guards dragging me off this stage are keeping me down..."


- End of speech -



A degree is just a piece of paper. It is not the degree that makes the man. It is man who makes himself.

Do not, I repeat...do not let the paper degree determine how much you can earn. That I believe is one of the greatest follies that paper-chasers always make.


Start today, do it - depend on yourself, not on the paper - and you'll be amazed at what heights you can achieve.


That's right DROP OUT of your conditioning and START MOVING!




________________

By Billi Lim
Author of No. 1 Best-seller "Dare To Fail"

No comments:

Post a Comment